Frequently Asked Questions
How do I assemble my Psyclone Tent?
Assembling and taking down a Psyclone Tent is easy!
- Simply unroll the tent onto a flat surface, spreading the floor out evenly.
- Using a hammer or mallet, hammer in the 8-10 pegs around the base of the tent. Be sure to place each peg through their loop on the tent before hammering. Start at the front door and work your way around in a circle pulling the tent tighter as you go.
- Step inside the tent and put up the ONE straight pole in the centre of the tent first. Be sure to place the top of the pole in the reinforced centre section of the roof of the tent.
- Next, slide the A-frame pole into the door frame, making sure that the spike at the tip of the A-frame is inserted into the eyelet hole in the top/centre of the door and the two legs go into the loops on the inside of the tent. On the inside of the tent there are two ties either side of the door that should be tied around the A-frame pole to secure it.
- Move to the outside of the tent and zip up the door so that it is closed. Now begin hammering in the guy ropes, moving around the tent in a clockwise manner starting from the centre of the front door.
- Tighten the guy ropes – We recommend tightening the front/centre guy rope first. Then go around the tent and peg and tighten each guy rope accordingly.
You’re all done!! ☺ Enjoy your new tent!
To Disassemble the tent, simply untie the guy ropes, remove the door frame and pole and roll up. Be sure that your tent is completely dry before you pack it away for long periods of time. (See Storage instructions below)
For details instructions on how to set up your Psyclone Tent, download our step-by-step instructions here.
What are the tents made out of?
Modern good quality canvas is made from a blend of both cotton and polyester to get the benefits of both. The yarn or thread used to weave these canvas fabrics consists of naturally short cotton fibres which have been ‘blended’ together with short lengths of polyester then spun together as a continuous thread or yarn. (Polyester filament is produced in a continuous length, which is then chopped into short lengths before the blend process). The modern good quality external canvas provides good water repellent/proof properties, good wear and strength properties, is treated to resist both UV and mould, and has a long lasting colour dye that is not only a good surface colour but penetrates the material.
We have worked hard to ensure that our tents are manufactured with the highest quality materials to withstand outdoor use through all environmental conditions. If treated properly, these tents will last much longer than the standard camping tent.
The tent material is 340gsm polyester cotton canvas blend and is treated to be fire retardant and for mould resistance.
The floor is heavy duty 520gsm PVC.
All tents come with fly screen doors and windows, plus a loop at the top to hang and dry them before packing away for long periods of time.
Our tents also have extra-strengthened points around the door and roof.
What size tents are available?
We offer three different size Psyclone Tents, measured by diameter:
Centre Pole Height:
3 metre tent = 2 metres high
4 metre tent = 2.5 metres high
5 metre tent = 3 metres high
3 metre tent = 20 kgs (approx)
4 metre tent = 28.5 kgs (approx)
5 metre tent = 36.5 kgs (approx)
What are the dimensions of the canopy?
Our canopy is ‘one size fits all.’
It will fit your 3m, 4m and 5m tent.
Dimensions = 3.6m x 2.4m
What are the different “styles” of tents?
Our Bell Tents come in three different sizes and three different styles. You can mix and match each size with the style of your choice. All of our tents have fly screen doors and windows.
- Fixed Floor: This is our Standard option. This style has a fully attached floor, however you still have access to large windows that zip down around the base (with mosquito mesh).
- Fixed Floor with Extra Windows: This style has the fully attached floor but includes extra zip-down windows (with mosquito mesh) for increased airflow.
- Removable Floor: This style has a zip-off floor, which is fantastic on those hot summer nights. The zipper runs around the entire floor and gives you the option of rolling up the side walls.
Canvas Weathering & Reproofing
Canvas Weathering & Reproofing
- A new canvas tent needs to be ‘weathered’, meaning it must be wet down thoroughly and allowed to air dry a couple of times to both SHRINK the canvas and tighten the canvas around the stitch holes. The primary reason is to shrink it tight at the needle hole locations (This weathering in addition to a good quality poly/cotton thread being used should stop the leaking as the cotton in the thread itself should swell when wet). The canvas may shrink anywhere up to 2 – 6% in the warp direction depending on the type of canvas used. By letting the canvas expand and shrink, this is the final part to waterproofing your tent for many years to come.
- Best method is to put your tent up (take out the mattress) and let it get a thoroughly good soaking from the rain a few times. Other way is to thoroughly soak it through with a hose (from a soft spray, not a forced spray) a couple of times.
- Don’t wait until you are out camping and waiting for your first rain to get it weathered because, as there is a chance it could leak through the stitch holes when it gets wet for the first time. If you want to be extra sure you can apply a waterproofing spray to the seams after weathering your tent. These sprays are available from our website.
- Over a number of years the canvas material itself will lose its waterproofing. This will be evident by wet patches on the canvas remaining after rain, the underside of the canvas getting wet and a general dry/dusty feel of the canvas. UV protection will diminish over the years, however reproofing will not restore this.
- You can buy good quality canvas waterproofer from our website. We highly recommend Stimex waterproofing spray and liquid. This should be a very thin consistency such that when applied it will soak right into the material between the weave and into the material itself. Follow the dilution instructions on the liquid bottle. (What you don’t want is a thick liquid that applies like a surface paint).
- Before reproofing, remove dirt as much as possible. The reproofing treatment will ‘seal’ in any remaining dirt. Also treat and kill any mould before reproofing.
What is Included?
What is included with my Psyclone Tent?
Each tent comes complete with canvas carry bags, all pegs, poles and ropes.
3 metre tents = 1 x 4m rope & 9 x 3m ropes
4 metre tents = 1 x 4m rope & 12 x 2m ropes
5 metre tents = 1 x 4m rope & 13 x 2m ropes
3 metre tents = 20 pegs
4 metre tents = 26 pegs
5 metre tents = 28 pegs
Do all tents have windows?
YES! 🙂 All of our tents have windows. There is the option to pay for ‘Extra Windows.’ That means there is a window on each panel around the tent.
How many windows are there?
3m Fixed Floor = 4 windows
3m Removable Floor = 4 windows
3m Fixed Floor + Extra Windows = 6 windows
4m Fixed Floor = 4 windows
4m Removable Floor = 4 windows
4m Fixed Floor + Extra Windows = 9 windows
5m Fixed Floor = 4 windows
5m Removable Floor = 4 windows
5m Fixed Floor + Extra Windows = 10 windows
Are Psyclone Tents waterproof?
Yes! We have tried and tested our Psyclone Tents in many different weather conditions. Even during heavy showers, the inside stays dry as a bone! Psyclone Tents are fully waterproof and have been treated for UV and mould resistance. We highly recommend using stimex waterproofing spray or liquid (see the Storage instructions below) yearly in order to maintain the high quality of your tent.
How should I store my Psyclone Tent?
Storage of your Psyclone Tent is paramount! Never store it wet or damp.
The canvas has been treated with for mould resistance, but this will not be effective if your Psyclone Tent is not stored dry. Sometimes you will have no choice but to bring home a damp tent, so we at Psyclone have made drying your tent easy because Psyclone tents are the ONLY bell tent on the market with a hanging loop at the very top exterior – perfect for hanging it from a clothesline or even in your garage.
PLEASE PLEASE … NEVER store a wet tent away for longer than 24 HOURS otherwise mould may grow.
How do I clean my Psyclone Tent?
After using your Psyclone Tent for long periods of time, it is advisable to wash the tent with warm soapy water, then re-apply silicone spray as per the above ‘Weathering’ instructions.
- It is in your best interest to keep the canvas as clean as possible and remove stains when they first appear.
- When dealing with fungus, use a soft brush or sponge and a lot of fresh water and vinegar – and then a waterproofing agent such as Stimex is applied if necessary.
- Dust and dried mud is better wiped away with a soft brush before a cleaning agent – and then waterproofing agent is applied if necessary.
- Only use specialised tent cleaning products to remove difficult stains as other domestic chemical products can cause the cotton to degrade.
- If using your bell tent frequently, for long periods of time or in humid conditions we recommend a waterproofing treatment such as Stimex to be applied once tent is weathered in.
- If using your bell tent frequently, or for long periods of time, a cleaning and waterproofing treatment may be applied more frequently.
Although caring for your bell tent is extremely easy, general maintenance is necessary to keep your tent looking tip-top and to prolong the life span of the canvas.
Mould - What now?
HOW TO DEAL WITH MOULD ON YOUR BELL TENT
If your bell tent or canopy has gotten wet, you must dry it out as soon as possible! Otherwise there is a strong chance that mould will develop on the canvas, which can be damaging to the tent.
Mould can eventually rot your canvas and is also associated with respiratory infections, allergies and can worsen asthma. It is extremely important to remove any mould not only to avoid health problems, but to avoid the huge cost of replacing your bell tent.
We do not recommend commercially available mould removers, as they can be detrimental to the waterproofing, colouring and UV inhibitors, which are impregnated into your canvas. We also suggest you don’t use harsh detergents, bleach or pressure washers for the same reasons.
Here is our recommendation for dealing with mould:
- Set up your bell tent or hang it by the attached loop at the top, preferably in the sun. Open the window flaps and door for maximum ventilation. Leave the bell tent out to completely dry the canvas. This may take hours or days.
- When the tent is completely dry, brush the mould spores off the canvas with a stiff bristle brush.
- Vacuum the canvas to remove any remaining spores.
- Kill the mould with a mixture of one-part white vinegar to ten-parts water.
- Apply the above solution with a rag, soft broom or brush.
- Allow the canvas to dry completely before packing up.
PLEASE NOTE! DO NOT USE HARSH DETERGENTS, BLEACH OR PRESSURE WASHER TO CLEAN THE CANVAS.
How do I protect the zips?
To protect and maintain your zips it is a good idea to also treat them with a silicone spray every so often.
Remember to always peg your tent out with the door and floor zips fastened.
If the zip seems to be strained when you erect your tent, adjust the tension on the guy ropes or adjust the positioning of the wall loops in the ground to find out which adjustment helps the zip to function better.
Repairs & Modifications
How do I repair my Psyclone Tent?
Accidents do happen and tents can get wounded in the process. The components used in your Psyclone Tent have been selected for their durability and easy maintenance. You may be surprised by the level of repair you can achieve on your own. However if you feel that the repair is beyond your capabilities then please do contact us at Psyclone Tents and we will be happy to help.
We work closely with a canvas repair company based in Melbourne. So if you live in the area, we highly recommend you to contact them for repairs:
P.S – Tell them Psyclone Tents sent you and they will look after you!
If you have a tear in the canvas that you would like to repair, we also sell Tear-Air Repair Kits through our online shop.
Do you sell replacement parts for my Psyclone Tent?
Yes we do. We sell replacement pole sets, replacement guy rope sets and replacement rubber stoppers for the ends of the centre pole. View our spare parts here.
Do you offer tents for hire?
We understand that many event planners are looking to hire bell tents – and we agree that this is a fabulous way to create a unique experience! At this time, our main focus is on bell tent sales due to increased demand. However, we are open to reviewing proposals for tent hire. Feel free to send your request via our contact form.
Do you sell tents at wholesale prices?
Yes, Psyclone Tents are available for bulk or wholesale order. We have provided customised, branded tents (with personal logo) at wholesale rates to events and companies from around the world. Feel free to contact us to discuss your business ideas.
Second Hand / Used Tents
Do you sell second hand / ex-hire / used tents?
Yes, we do sell second hand tents at a discounted rate. Often times, these tents have only been used once or twice (at a festival or event) and are in great condition. Contact us asap to inquire about our ex-hire stock.
Do you offer a guarantee?
Our tents come with a 12-month guarantee on workmanship (excludes zips, pegs and poles)
What is the lifespan?
The lifespan of your bell tent is very dependent upon the camping conditions and the way you look after it. Air pollution, ultraviolet radiation, natural and domestic dirt, all limit the lifespan of your cotton canvas bell tent. In short, if you look after your tent it will look after you for many years of happy camping. Refer to Cleaning tips above for more info on how to care for your tent.
What type of payment do you accept?
You can pay via PayPal and credit card on our website; bank transfer; EFTPOS or cash on collection from our warehouse in Brunswick VIC.
We also accept Bitcoin, email us for more info.
Shipping and Local Pickup Options
What are your shipping options?
Customers in Australia
For orders within Australia, we use the courier service Transdirect to search the cheapest courier quote for your location. Simply enter your address into our online shopping cart and your courier quote will be displayed. For all orders we will provide a tracking number.
We also ship worldwide. For orders outside of Australia, please contact us directly for an international shipping quote.
Our warehouse is located in Coburg North, Victoria, Australia. If you live locally, you can pick up your bell tent for no added cost. Our warehouse hours are by appointment only.
Media & Promotional Partnerships
Our warehouse is located in the Melbourne suburb of Coburg North, Victoria, Australia. If you live locally, you can pick up your bell tent for no added cost. Our warehouse hours are by appointment only, but our times are flexible.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at: